Learn how to serve families well.
Join our Birth & Bereavement Doula® program.
Established in August 2011, stillbirthday provides the most comprehensive, globally accessible, dual training program of its kind, combining a complete birth doula preparation program with an intensive bereavement doula training. Upon successful completion of our course and earning the SBD credentials, you will be capable of providing support for birth in any outcome and in any trimester.
If you’re a professional: If you are already an established perinatal, obstetric or allied healthcare professional, you can strengthen these skills you may or may not have acquired through other learning programs or collegiate courses. You also have an opportunity to earn 30 nursing contact hours upon successful completion of the course.
If you’re not a professional: There is no pre-requisite academic or professional qualification necessary to successfully complete this course. This is an entirely online course, that is easily accessible to any SBD student around the world. If you have a desire to learn how to support families in the spaces where birth & bereavement meet, this program is simply right for you!
Through stillbirthday, you can earn globally respected and federally protected credentials as a
Birth & Bereavement Doula®
Join us at Stillbirthday University
About Our Learning Sessions
Registration is always open and you can register now. There are four, 12 week learning sessions held each year, and each session begins on the first Monday of the month. Once you are enrolled, you can visit our class roster at Stillbirthday University to see your name appear on the roster.
2015 session schedule:
- (session 1) January 5 to March 27 (This class is in session. Registrations are open for any other session.)
- (session 2) April 6 to June 26
- (session 3) July 6 to September 25.
- (session 4) October 5 to December 25.
About Our Learning Program
Experts from multiple disciplines in birth and bereavement care have found the SBD training to be the best, the most comprehensive learning program on all subjects within birth and bereavement.
This is both a group and independent course. You’ll have 12 weeks to complete 8 weeks of study. You’ll have opportunities to engage in multiple ways with fellow students depending on your own preferences. You’ll study provided class materials and submit a correlating open book exam for each of the 8 chapters of materials. This allows each training session to have approximately 12 weeks to accomplish your 8 weeks of training, to give a full 4 weeks room for vacations, struggling students or life events.
In addition to completing the 8 week online course, two book reviews and a community project will be completed by each student, by 6 months from the start of class – you can even get a head start now if you’d like (please click our book review list for our most updated and expanded reading list).
Click here to learn more about our doula class information, including the community project.
You can click to view or print the Stillbirthday Birth & Bereavement Doula® learning promotional material, for yourself, or to give to any of your medical providers:
Who should become SBD Certified
This class has been endorsed by the most well known natural childbirth advocates and by obstetricians alike. Providing the most information in the most learnable format at the most affordable price, the stillbirthday Birth & Bereavement Doula® program is right for:
- any prospective doula as well as any seasoned birth professional
- any mother and any bereaved mother wanting to provide support to others experiencing childbirth including loss
- any birth professional including OB/GYN, ER staff, EMT, ultrasound technician, nurse, midwife, monitrice, doula, who is seeking to gain a deeper understanding of how to provide comprehensive care to patients/clients prior to, during and after pregnancy/infant loss (print the promotional materials for any medical provider you have). Birth and bereavement is interwoven into every aspect of the course, which means any lesson that would be familiar to you is looked at through the SBD paradigm and absorbed in an entirely new, holistic way.
- any professional specializing in palliative or bereavement care including chaplains, social workers, and funeral staff
- if your learning session hasn’t begun yet and you’re serving a family enduring loss, you might visit our Loved Ones page for ideas now on how to support your client.
- You should become SBD certified.
- Is there anyone who should not pursue SBD certification? You can visit our FAQ to find out more.
What you will learn
The class itself is interactive, with weekly reading materials and group participation. Your fellow classmates will challenge you, the course will educate you, and the fellowship will inspire you. You will remain a part of an online interactive group of your peers, long after your class is over, with fellow SBD students and professionals.
You will gain a solid understanding of pregnancy, birth, birth emergencies and pregnancy and infant loss. The SBD birth and bereavement training draws from the best tools available in birth education, positive birth outcomes, birth emergencies, thanatology, palliative care, application of skills, and professional development and support, to equip you in understanding why and how these broad subjects are intricately connected.
Because of the unique design of our training, you can complete the requirements within your lifestyle and schedule. The materials and communications remain open in our private classroom and can be completed at your own pace within the weekly timeframes.
Click here to learn more about the subjects we’ll explore and what you’ll do in our training – as well as our most commonly asked questions by prospective doula students.
You can also visit Stillbirthday University on facebook for enrollment announcements.
SBD Student Support
There is just so many wonderful things to say about what our birth and bereavement program brings to you. If you are thinking about enrolling in a training for any aspect of birth and bereavement, I strongly encourage you to read about our SBD Student Support, which outlines our commitment to you, our refund policy and our high standards of professionalism. You can also read more about the benefits of learning with stillbirthday.
As an SBD Graduate
The SBD credential is Still Birth Day abbreviated, certifies you as a Stillbirthday Birth & Bereavement Doula®, and represents Supporting Birth Diversity. This means that you are certified as a birth doula, and certified as a bereavement doula.
Earning the SBD credentials
- means you will be prepared to provide support to families experiencing any birth outcome and provide support for birth in any trimester.
- means you’ll be certified as a “real doula” who has far superior knowledge in the most subjects pertaining to pregnancy, birth, postpartum and bereavement.
- makes birth and bereavement support training accessible and inviting to medical and birth professionals.
- makes birth and bereavement support training accessible to mothers who simply want to support their peers.
- means you are a part of a professional, reputable resource and team dedicated to providing support to families.
- means your listing at the site will be in a highly noticeable location complete with profile photo (optional) and a short description of yourself.
- places you within our online group that encourages fellowship, continued education, and ongoing social, professional and educational benefits.
- means that you can access professional mentorship through the duration of your career.
- provides exclusive discounts on valuable supplies as a birth & bereavement doula.
- provides a platform for advancement as an SBD Regional Representative, SBD Chaplain, a member of our SBD Diversity Team or becoming an authorized stillbirthday workshop presenter. Email email@example.com for details.
- Again, please enjoy our listing of even more reasons and benefits to joining SBD!
Who teaches this class
Heidi Faith, the founder of stillbirthday, is the educator of this course.
Click here to learn about the class instructor.
This continuing nursing education activity was approved by the Missouri Nurses Association,
an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
A list of participants, including addresses and contact hours, will be forwarded to the MONA office upon completion of the training.
Get Enrolled Today!
Enrollment is open year-round. Register today for the next class, in TWO easy steps:
Step One: Student Enrollment Information
within 24 hours of your Welcome Packet instant download, you should sign the Welcome Letter and see your name appear on the Class Roster
Spread the Word
Once you are enrolled, you can enjoy the SBD University Student logo at the very top of this page to add to your blog, website or social media page.
Upon successful completion of the SBD birth & bereavement doula program,
you’ll receive permission to bear the official SBD doula logo, among many other benefits.
Click here to enjoy our full listing of benefits!
Enjoy competetive pricing!
The price for this double certifying, credentialing course is only $250.00 USD
You can even choose to enroll today, and not actually complete your tuition payment until after you graduate and start professionally serving clients (through PayPal’s US residents Bill Me Later program). You can use our quick enroll page if that’s simpler for you to navigate in doing so.
SBD U does not offer refunds for tuition for any reason: all proceeds, including tuition, are immediately invested into our global support resources for families. We firmly believe that every mother has the right to choose to have a doula, and when you join our team, you become a very real part of seeing this happen.
Scholarships & Discounts:
Gift Certificates are a wonderful way for your loved ones to encourage your education and support your vision. Not only can they go toward the tuition, but also toward our exclusive doula shop or other SBD items!
View our Scholarship opportunities.
Add your name to our student sponsorship listing.
If you will be the first credentialed SBD doula in your state or country, you can select the “CCD or partner” networking payment option below, and save $150 on registration. Just use our Find a Doula page first to confirm that you’ll be the first credentialed SBD doula in your area. If your state or country page does not begin with a listing of a name or names with SBD behind them, then you’ll be the first and you can use this savings opportunity!
Many of our doula graduates go on to build partnerships, networks or “agencies” within their communities, and they are seeking more doulas to build their team. If you are enrolling in the SBD doula program so that you can build onto their team, please enter in their unique networking code in your enrollment form below. Obtaining the SBD doula certification is only the beginning of what I desire to be an ongoing professional relationship with you. Perhaps you will be the one to begin a growing doula network in your own community! Ways to get one started are discussed in your learning session.
Receipt for Enrollment
At Enrollment: You will need to complete both steps above in order to enroll. There is no need to send in your Student Enrollment Information (step one) prior to or without completing your tuition (step two). There is no refund for enrollment.
Now That You’re Enrolled: After your transaction is complete, paypal will do two things. 01. Paypal will send you an email for your purchase. 02. “Easy Digital Downloads” will redirect you to our Student Welcome Letter. This welcome letter holds your receipt information as well as the foundational expectations now that you are enrolled. If you are not redirected properly, simply email Heidi.Faith@stillbirthday.com and this letter will be sent to you.
Between Enrollment & the Start of Class: If you have a change of email for your initial roster information between enrollment and the start of class, simply use the contact form above to note the new email. Your initial entrance information will be emailed to the email you submit in the contact form above (in your step 1). This initial entrance email will be delivered to you within the week of the start of your class session – you can check our class roster to see your name appear for your designated session. If you have a change of circumstance between your enrollment and the start of class, we can arrange a transfer to a new session.
The M0M Center
11117 N. Oak Trafficway
Kansas City MO 64155
See how you can support a family as a Stillbirthday Birth and Bereavement Doula: